Advising and Enrollment

Academic Advising and Approval of Planned Class Schedules

Members of the faculty are assigned as advisers to assist students in planning their programs and in pursuing their chosen interests. The role of your faculty adviser is quite different from your staff adviser. Faculty advisers are experts in their academic discipline in research and teaching; they can assist you in planning your degree program and can offer you advice on your educational and career opportunities. If your adviser does not initiate these discussions, you should feel free to ask them for their advice — don't be shy!

Building a solid, professional relationship with your faculty adviser is important and can reap long-lasting benefits well beyond your time as an undergraduate, so take advantage of this opportunity.

During scheduled academic advising periods, students are required to meet with their faculty advisers by making an appointment.

Notice of Faculty Advising Period

Undergraduate office staff are also assigned as advisers to assist students in choosing courses and to approve students' planned class schedules and petitions to change class schedules.

Good preparation is strongly advised before consulting with an adviser. You should have at least a tentative idea of the courses you wish to take and should try to acquaint yourself beforehand with the course requirements listed for your major.

Forgot your adviser's name?

Here are some ways to find your adviser:

↑ page top

Enrolling in Classes

The College of Chemistry unit minimum is 13; the maximum is 19.5. If you plan to enroll in fewer than 13 or more than 19.5 units, please complete the undergraduate student petition and turn it in to your staff adviser.

Exception: If you plan to graduate at the end of the semester, you are not required to get approval to enroll in fewer than 13 units.

Note: If you enroll in 10 units or fewer, you may be eligible for a fee reduction. Fee reductions are granted only to those with compelling reasons related to occupation (full-time, regular career employment of at least 35 hours per week), family responsibility, or health.

Low Grades: If you receive a grade of D+ or lower in a chemical engineering or chemistry course for which a grade of C- or higher is required, you must repeat the course at UC Berkeley.

↑ page top

Class Schedule Change Deadlines

If you wish to make any changes to your Planned Class Schedule after it is approved, you are required to contact your staff adviser for approval of the changes. Failure to obtain staff adviser approval before you make changes can result in disciplinary action.

  • Through the third week of classes, changes that have been approved by your staff adviser can be processed using Cal Central.
  • After the third week of classes, you can use Cal Central to add courses. However, to drop courses, or change grading option, you must fill out a petition for change of class schedule and obtain your staff adviser's signature.
  • After the fifth week of classes, you will not be permitted to add or drop a course unless you obtain the Undergraduate Dean's approval for an exception. If you are approved to drop a course after the fifth week, you will have a permanent notation on your transcript.

Details on deadlines to add and drop courses and to change grading options are as follows:

  • End of the SECOND week of instruction (midnight on Friday)
    • Deadline to drop Early Drop Deadline (EDD) courses
  • End of the FIFTH week of instruction (4 p.m. on Friday)
    • Deadline to drop courses (other than EDD courses)
    • Deadline to change grading option from pass/not pass to a letter grade
    • Deadline to change the unit value on variable-unit courses
  • End of the FIFTH week of instruction (midnight on Friday)
    • Deadline to add all courses (via Cal Central)
Note: Check with the instructor before adding a class that you have not been attending to make sure that you can catch up with the class. The lectures and course work you have missed may diminish your chances of performing well in the course.
  • End of the TENTH week of instruction (4 p.m. on Friday)
    • Deadline to change grading option from a letter grade to pass/not pass
Note: You are advised to initially enroll in all courses on a letter-graded basis since the deadline to change to P/NP is much later than the deadline to change to a letter grade from P/NP.

Charts of the deadline dates can be found at:

Requests to change your schedule after the deadlines are subject to approval by the Undergraduate Dean and will be processed on an exception basis only. EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED ONLY IN EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES. If you are approved to drop a course after the deadline, a permanent notation will appear on your transcript.

The above changes have two important consequences for students:

  1. If you are interested in adding a class that is full, you must put yourself on the waiting list so that a departmental staff person can move you into the class if a seat opens up. Departments will have the option of manually processing waiting lists through the end of the fifth week.
  2. If you are no longer interested in enrolling in a class for which you are waitlisted, it is essential that you remove your name from the waiting list so that you won't be added to the class and then have no way to drop it after the deadline.

Your waiting list status will appear on your Cal Central schedules through the end of the fifth week.

If you have any questions, please drop by the Undergraduate Advising Office in 121 Gilman Hall, or contact your college adviser.

↑ page top

Additional Transfer Credit

Students in the College of Chemistry are subject to the following restrictions concerning additional transfer credit:

  • Prior to enrolling in a course at another institution which could satisfy a required chemical engineering, chemistry, English, math, or physics course, you are required to request approval from your staff adviser.
  • If you plan to enroll concurrently at UC Berkeley and another institution, you are required to request approval from the Associate Dean prior to the beginning of the semester. Approval for concurrent enrollment is rarely granted.

↑ page top