The College of Chemistry advances society through education and research.
We honor that mission by educating students who become world class scientists, researchers, educators, and entrepreneurs.
The departments of Chemistry and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering provide outstanding coursework and research opportunities to our undergraduates, graduates, and postdoctoral researchers.
Chemistry has consistently produced leaders in analytical, inorganic, organic, nuclear, physical and theoretical chemistry. We lead exploration at the frontiers of knowledge in the areas of biophysical, materials, and atmospheric chemistry, as well as the burgeoning fields of chemical biology and nanoscience.
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (CBE) houses premier research programs in molecular thermodynamics, heterogeneous catalysis, electrochemical engineering, biochemical engineering, and separation processes. CBE faculty are research pioneers in the growing fields of synthetic biology, nanotechnology, theoretical chemistry, and the development of polymeric, optical, and semiconductor materials.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Biology
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
- Joint major in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
- Joint major in Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Professional Masters in Bioprocess Engineering
- Professional Masters in Product Development
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemical Engineering
Postdoctoral appointments are temporary, allowing individuals a unique opportunity to conduct advanced scientific research under the guidance of world class faculty.
Master of Molecular Science and Software Engineering
Information about all programs available at the College of Chemistry is online.
The college complex is a small city unto itself-six research buildings operate 24 hours a day. Undergraduates hurry between teaching labs and classrooms. Grad students and postdocs drop in at the NMR, spectroscopy and crystallography facilities. Faculty members consult with their lab groups and monitor experiments. Nearby, college researchers have access to numerous specialized labs on campus and at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL). Particle accelerators, high-energy X-ray light sources and more are a short distance away. Together with LBL, the U.S. Department of Energy and private sector partners, the college has helped create the world's most advanced cluster of research centers on biofuels and artificial photosynthesis.
UC Berkeley hosts a vibrant series of incubators and venture funds geared toward the University's support of students and faculty in their efforts to start new companies. The Berkeley Catalyst Fund was started several years ago by College alumni to focus on early stage funding of startups in the College of Chemistry, across campus, and at the Berkeley Lab.
- Undergraduate advisors provide expert and confidential academic guidance.
- Our career counseling program focuses on helping students with their post academic planning.
- Peer tutors provide coaching for chemistry and CBE courses in our Peer Tutoring Center.