Students from other colleges/schools at UC Berkeley (Letters and Science, Engineering, Natural Resources, etc.) who enter as freshmen may apply for on-campus transfer to the College of Chemistry after completing two full semesters at Berkeley. We strongly suggest that students adopt our curriculum as soon as they have decided to transfer into our college.
Students who enter as junior transfers are generally ineligible to change into the College of Chemistry, though some exceptions may apply.
1. Familiarize yourself with the curriculum and degree requirements for the major you're interested in.
2. Please make an appointment with Korshid Tarin to go over the Change of College process.
- Petition for Change of College
- Request for Course Substitution
- Requirements Filled by Exam
4. Please email a scanned copy of your petition and additional forms to Korshid at email@example.com by the last day of the semester.
5. Please attend a Change of College Workshop:
- Thursday, March 5 11:00am-12:00pm, 425 Latimer Hall
- Wednesday, March 25, 3:00pm-4:00pm, 433 Latimer Hall
- Thursday, April 23, 2:00pm-3:00pm, 425 Latimer Hall
Please RSVP to attend a Change of College workshop here: https://forms.gle/P1zXhAXKPc1sEoaC7
REQUIREMENTS FOR CHANGING INTO CHEMISTRY OR CHEMICAL BIOLOGY
Students must complete the following to be eligible to change into the College of Chemistry:
Earn A's and B's in the courses below:
Chem 4A, 4B (Chem 1A/L and 105 may be substituted)
Physics 7A or 8A (for Chemical Biology only)
Math 1A, 1B
REQUIREMENTS FOR CHANGING INTO CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
There are very few spaces available in the Chemical Engineering major each year. Students who wish to change into Chemical Engineering must meet the following criteria to be considered for eligibility:
1) Earn a combined GPA of 3.3+ in the following courses:
Chem 4A, 4B (1A/L and 1B may be substituted)
Physics 7A, 7B
Math 1A, 1B, 53
CBE 40, 140
2) Complete CBE 140
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee entrance into the major.
Acceptable Course Substitutions
The College of Chemistry commonly accepts the following course substitutions for students changing into Chemistry, Chemical Biology, or Chemical Engineering from other colleges at UC Berkeley:
Chem 1A + 1AL = Chem 4A
Chem 1A/L + Chem 105 = Chem 4A + Chem 4B (for Chemistry and Chemical Biology majors)
Chem 1A/L + Chem 1B = Chem 4A + Chem 4B (Chemical Engineering majors)
Chem 3A/L = Chem 12A
Chem 3B/L = Chem 12B
Please note that the Chem 1 and 3 series provide less rigorous preparation for upper division courses. Once students are approved to change into the College of Chemistry, they must adhere to the College's curriculum requirements (e.g., complete Chem 12B, not Chem 3B).
For information on how to enroll in Chemistry classes that are reserved for CoC students during Phase 1 and 2, please check our Chemistry Enrollment Info for Non-CoC Majors page.
For more information please email Korshid Tarin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[content coordinated by Korshid Tarin]