- Enrollment Advising
- Enrolling in Classes
- Class Schedule Change Deadlines
- Transfer Course & Exam Credit Info
Advising Period for Fall 2023 Enrollment is April 10-21.
We strongly recommend that you set up an appointment with a faculty mentor during the Advising Period. Faculty mentors are there to guide and support your academic and professional development.
Your college adviser in 121 Gilman is available to guide you in course selection, completion of degree requirements, and other academic decision-making. Use these links to College of Chemistry degree requirements to plan your Fall 2023 schedule:
Chemistry and Chemistry Transfer Program
Chemical Biology and Chemical Biology Transfer Program
Chemical Engineering and Chemical Engineering Transfer Program
Chemical Engineering Joint Majors
PLEASE NOTE: You will have an advising hold placed on your Fall 2023 enrollment if you fall into one of these categories:
- Graduating in Fall 2023
- Academic probation or received a midterm deficient grade
- Recently changed into CoC or were readmitted
- You have not completed the R&C requirement by the deadline
TO RELEASE THE HOLD: You must complete the Fall 2023 Planned Class Schedule at least five working days before your Phase 1 appointment. Please fill out the form associated with your adviser / temporary adviser:
- Last name Y-Z
- Temporary adviser for Chem E majors, last name A-Ch
- Last name K-R
- Temporary adviser for Chem E majors, last name Cl-G
- Last name S-X (some)
- Temporary adviser for Chemistry majors, last name A-G
- Last name H-J, S-X (some)
- Temporary adviser for Chemical Biology majors, last name A-G
Please use these YouCanBookMe links to make an appointment:
Jahzeel Flores Morales (K-R)
Shamaya Pellum (some S-X)
Maritsi Perez (H-J, some S-X)
Maura Daly (Y-Z)
If you don't fall into one of the categories above, you do not have an advising hold–please do NOT complete the Planned Class Schedule form. If you would like to discuss your Fall schedule and/or have questions about the enrollment process, please meet with a Peer Advisor. If you have further questions, you're welcome to contact your College Adviser.
Important Fall 2023 Enrollment Dates
- March 25 — Enrollment appointments available in CalCentral
- March 26 — Fall 2023 Schedule of Classes available
- April 10-21 — Advising Period
- April 17 — Phase I begins (enroll in up to 13.5 units, including wait-listed units)
- June 16 — Phase I ends
- July 17 — Phase II begins (enroll in up to 17.5 units, including wait-listed units)
- Aug 13 — Phase II ends
- Aug 14 — Adjustment period begins (add additional units up to 19.5)
Fall 2023 Phase I Enrollment Appointment Schedule
Enrollment appointment dates are based on # of terms in attendance and status. Appointments begin during the specified period below, and continue until June 16.
- Special action: begins 4/17
- Graduating seniors: 4/18
- 4th years: 4/19-4/21
- 3rd years: 4/24-4/26
- 2nd years: 4/27-5/1
- 1st years: 5/2
Enrolling in Classes
The College of Chemistry unit minimum is 13; the maximum is 19.5. If you plan to enroll in fewer than 13 or more than 19.5 units, please complete the undergraduate student petition and turn it in to your staff adviser.
Exception: If you plan to graduate at the end of the semester, you are not required to get approval to enroll in fewer than 13 units.
Low Grades: If you receive a grade of D+ or lower in a chemical engineering or chemistry course for which a grade of C- or higher is required, you must repeat the course at UC Berkeley.
Class Schedule Change Deadlines
If you wish to make any changes to your Planned Class Schedule after it is approved, you are required to contact your staff adviser for approval of the changes. Failure to obtain staff adviser approval before you make changes can result in disciplinary action.
- Through the middle of the fourth week of classes, changes that have been approved by your staff adviser can be processed using Cal Central.
- After the middle of the fourth week of classes, you will not be permitted to add or drop a course unless you obtain the Undergraduate Dean's approval for an exception.
Details on deadlines to add and drop courses and to change grading options are as follows:
- End of the SECOND week of instruction
- Deadline to drop Early Drop Deadline (EDD) courses
- Middle of FOURTH week of instruction
- Deadline to add courses
- Deadline to drop non-EDD courses
- End of the FIFTH week of instruction
- CoC deadline to change grading option
- Subsequent changes require adviser's exception
Note: Check with the instructor before adding a class that you have not been attending to make sure that you can catch up with the class. The lectures and course work you have missed may diminish your chances of performing well in the course.
Charts of the deadline dates can be found at:
Requests to change your schedule after the deadlines are subject to approval by the Undergraduate Dean and will be processed on an exception basis only. EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED ONLY IN EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES.
If you have any questions, please drop by the Undergraduate Advising Office in 121 Gilman Hall, or contact your college adviser
Transfer & Exam Credit Info
New Students: All credit-bearing exams (e.g. AP, IB, GCE A-Level) and transfer course-work submitted by new freshmen and transfer students prior to their arrival at Berkeley is reviewed by Berkeley's Central Evaluation Unit as part of the initial transfer credit review process. This review process is generally completed by the end of December for students admitted to Berkeley in the fall semester.
After the initial transfer credit review is complete, please direct any questions or concerns about missing transfer work to the Central Evaluation Unit by opening a case with Cal Student Central.
Continuing students in the College of Chemistry who wish to satisfy requirements at another institution are subject to the following restrictions:
- Prior to enrolling in a course at another institution which could satisfy a required chemical engineering, chemistry, English, math, or physics course, you must request approval from your staff adviser.
- If you wish to enroll concurrently at UC Berkeley and another institution, you must request approval from the Undergraduate Dean prior to the beginning of the semester. Approval for concurrent enrollment is rarely granted.