Chemical Engineering Curriculum for Transfer Students

Transfer students normally begin the upper division Chemical Engineering program after having completed courses equivalent to Chemistry 1A, 1AL, 1B; Math 1A, 1B, 53, 54; Physics 7A, 7B; English R1A; and most of the Breadth requirement.

For students who have completed these lower division courses prior to transferring, major requirements to be taken after transfer to Berkeley appears in the chart below.

Suggested Sequence of Courses (Open Elective Program)

Chemical Engineering Transfer Program (2.5 years)
First Year (Junior) Fall Spring
Chemical Engineering 1301 (F) -- Mathematics & Statistics in Chemical Engineering 4
Chemical Engineering 140 (F) -- Intro to Chemical Process Analysis 4
Chemical Engineering 141 (S) -- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics - 4
Chemical Engineering 150A (S) -- Transport Processes - 4
Chemistry 12A (F) -- Organic 5 -
Engineering 72 -- Intro to Computer Programming for Scientists & Engineers or CS 61A, Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs 4 -
Engineering Elective - 3-4
Biology 1A or Bio Eng 113 - 3
Total 17 14-15
Second Year (Senior) Fall Spring
Chemical Engineering 142 (F)  -- Kinetics 4 -
Chemical Engineering 150B (F) -- Transport Processes 4 -
Chemical Engineering 1544 or C170L5 -- Lab 3-4 3-4
Chemical Engineering Elective - 3-4
Chemistry 120A or Physics 137A -- Quantum Mechanics 3-4 -
Engineering Elective - 3-4
Science Elective - 3-4
Upper-div breadth / American Cultures6 3-4 -
Total 14-16 13-16
Fifth Semester (Senior) Fall
Chemical Engineering 160 -- Design 4
Chemical Engineering 162 -- Process Control 4
Engineering Elective 3-4
Total 11-12

F = course offered during Fall semesters only

S = course offered during Spring semesters only

1 Required co-requisite for CBE 140 for all new students beginning Fall 2022. May be used as an elective for continuing students.

2CS 61A vs. Engineering 7: CS 61A is a foundational programming course that teaches important concepts like debugging code, persistence in debugging code, and writing clean code that minimizes bugs and is reproducible. Eng 7 places a greater emphasis on numerical methods. Since some of the material in Eng 7 is covered in CBE 130, the Chemical Engineering faculty recommend taking CS 61A. They note that CS 61A will teach students how to think critically about and design a project before you start coding. This foundation will provide a good transition or companion to CBE 130 and other upper-division CBE classes, which will cover the scientific aspects of coding. The faculty also note that CS 61A will likely be more work than Eng 7, but that CS 61A will help build proficiency in coding which will pay off in the future.

3 For Chemical Engineering transfer students only, if 2+ biology transfer courses are listed as equivalent to Bio 1A/L on, count Bio 1A as satisfied if any are completed prior to the first semester at Berkeley. If the biology credits are from a four-year or out-of-state institution please consult with your staff adviser.

4 Even/Odd Student ID rule applies: Normal timing for students with even SID numbers is spring of junior year, and for students with odd SID numbers is fall of senior year. Extenuating circumstances due to issues such as transfer status should be discussed with 154 instructor.

5 CBE C170L may be used to satisfy the Chemical Engineering lab requirement in lieu of CBE 154 beginning in Spring 2022, not before. CBE C170L also satisfies the prerequisite for CBE 160, 161S, and any other upper division CBE course in which 154 is a prerequisite. Students who take both C170L and 154 may use one to satisfy the lab requirement and the other to satisfy either the CBE elective requirement or an engineering elective. C170L may NOT be used to satisfy both the lab requirement AND an elective or concentration requirement.

6 Breadth units must add up to 22 units, incuding transferred breadth.

↑ page top