Chemistry Major Upper Division Requirements

Chemistry. 104A, 104B, 120A, 120B, 125 and one of the following choices: 105, 108, 115, or 146. (Chemistry C182 may be substituted for 125.)

A grade of C- or higher is required in Chemistry 120A and 120B if taken before 125 or C182.

12 Units of Upper Division Chemistry and Allied Subjects. In addition to the requirements listed above, the following must be completed to total at least 12 units:

  • One additional lecture course (or laboratory/lecture course) in chemistry as approved by your staff adviser. Graduate-level chemistry courses (numbered 200+) may be used to satisfy the chemistry elective requirement, including courses that are 1 unit.
  • Additional courses in chemistry and/or related fields from the list of Allied Subject Courses

Advanced Placement, Advanced Level, and International Baccalaureate credit cannot be applied to this requirement.

No more than 4 units of research (such as 192, H194, and/or 196) may be used to satisfy requirements.

If a course is used to satisfy another requirement (such as the chemistry major requirement of one of 105, 108, 115, or 146) the course cannot also be used to satisfy the Upper Division Chemistry and Allied Subjects requirement.

This program may be used to specialize in a particular area of chemistry, such as inorganic, nuclear, organic, etc. The program may also be used to develop an understanding in other fields of interest that either require a strong background in chemistry or are relevant to the chemical sciences, such as biochemistry, chemical physics, mathematics, chemical engineering, geochemistry, materials science, atmospheric chemistry, environmental science, etc.