Students admitted to our PhD graduate program receive a stipend for the duration of study in the form of teaching and research assistantships as long as they are in residence and demonstrate good progress toward the degree. Most funds for this support derive from research contracts and grants. Support monies from whatever source are subject to state and federal taxes.
University fellowships are awarded in a campus-wide competition. The department nominates highly qualified applicants requesting admission for these fellowships. The final selection of awardees is made by the University Fellowship Competition Faculty Committee. To be considered for these fellowships, your complete application must be received by the department by December 21. Fellowship stipends are augmented by the department up to current annual stipend level. Students are urged to seek out all possible sources of fellowship support.
Some excellent sources include:
- National Science Foundation
- Hertz Foundation
- Graduate Engineering for Minorities (GEM) Fellowships
- AAUW(American Association of University Women) Fellowships
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships
- National Physical Science Consortium
Industrial contributors to our graduate program have created a number of significant fellowships that we award to outstanding students in the department. Additionally, industrial grants provide very important funds in support of our research.
A growing list of such major donors includes:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- Atofina Chemicals
- Bechtel Foundation
- BFGoodrich Company
- BP Amoco
- ChevronTexaco Corporation
- CPC International
- Digital Equipment Corporation
- Dow Chemical U.S.A.
- E.l. du Pont de Nemours & Company
- Eastman Kodak Company
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Ford Company
- General Electric Co.
- W.R. Grace & Company
- International Business Machines Corporation
- ICI Americas, Inc.
- Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation
- Lucent Technologies
- Merck & Company, Inc.
- Mitsubishi Kasei Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc.
- Monsanto Company
- Procter & Gamble Company
- Shell Oil Foundation
- Upjohn Company
- Xerox Foundation
For more information visit the UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office