Students admitted to our PhD graduate program receive a stipend for the duration of study in the form of teaching and/or research assistantships as long as they are in residence and demonstrate satisfactory progress toward the degree. Most funds for this support derive from research contracts and grants. Support monies from whatever source are subject to state and federal taxes.
Students are highly encouraged to seek out all possible sources of fellowship support. The Graduate Division offers a variety of awards for entering students, including: Berkeley and Chancellor’s fellowships. The Admissions Committee nominates highly qualified applicants and the final selection of awardees is made by the University Fellowship Competition Faculty Committee. Fellowship stipends are augmented by the department up to current annual stipend level.
Some other excellent sources include:
- National Science Foundation
- Hertz Foundation
- Graduate Engineering for Minorities (GEM) Fellowships
- AAUW(American Association of University Women) Fellowships
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships
- National Physical Science Consortium
- Mentored Research Award
Additional resources for PhD students that have advanced to candidacy:
- University of California Dissertation Year Fellowship
- DOE Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
For more information visit Grad Division https://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/fellowships/