Please read the following instructions on filling out forms carefully. Your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman Form must be completed and emailed by May 13 so that you can enroll in classes for Fall.


Your Planned Class Schedule (PCS) lists the courses you intend to take in Fall 2016. Your adviser uses the completed PCS to approve your choice of courses before you come to CalSO (Cal Student Orientation), where you begin the enrollment process. You will receive the approved PCS at CalSO. 

Choosing your first semester courses

For the first semester, freshmen are expected to enroll in the following courses:

  • Chemistry 4A
  • Math (usually 1A or 1B, depending on your AP exam scores; see next section)
  • English R1A or equivalent (or College Writing R1A; see below for details)
  • Chemistry and Chemical Biology majors: Chemistry 96
  • Chemical Engineering majors: Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering 40

If you want to take additional courses, we recommend choosing a breadth elective from one of these lists:

or a course that satisfies the American Cultures requirement.

During the first five weeks of classes, you may petition to drop a class if you find your class load is too heavy (minimum required is 13 units). You must obtain staff adviser approval to drop a class before you stop attending.

Advanced Placement, Transfer, and Other Exam Credit

Students who have Advanced Placement, transfer, or other exam credit may be eligible to take more advanced courses. Note: We do not recommend Math 53 or Math 54 as your first math class at Berkeley. We’ll talk about choosing your first math course at CalSO.

Information on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and GCE A-level exam credit can be found here. If you don't know your exam score, estimate it and select your classes according to that estimated score. If your estimated score is incorrect, you may need to add or drop a class later, with your adviser's approval.

If you have transfer credit from a community college or another university and you want to know if it will satisfy a course requirement, your adviser will need to evaluate it. If your credit is not from a California community college, please include course descriptions when you email your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman forms.

University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement & Reading and Composition Requirement

  • IF you have fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement with a sufficient test score, with transfer credit, or by passing the Analytical Writing Placement Exam, then you should enroll in English R1A or an equivalent course (unless you have sufficient AP/IB/A-Level/exams or transfer credit to satisfy the Reading and Composition requirement; see previous section).
  • IF you took the Analytical Writing Placement Exam but didn't pass, then you should enroll in College Writing R1A in Fall 2016.
  • IF you have not fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement and haven't taken the Analytical Writing Placement Exam by the beginning of the Fall semester, you must take the Placement Exam, conducted on the Berkeley campus, in September, date and time TBA. Contact the College Writing Program for more information. Results will be posted 3-4 weeks after the exam date. You'll need to delay taking the appropriate composition course(s) until Spring 2017. Please be aware that the Analytical Writing Placement Exam may be taken only once.

Your Major Program

Please use the following resources to see how your Fall 2016 courses fit into your major's curriculum and requirements:

Other important course planning tools include, UC Berkeley's Schedule of Classes, available via CalCentral on your My Academics page, and the Berkeley Academic Guide are available on the web. The latter includes course descriptions for all departments and information on University requirements and academic policies.


Please indicate on the New Freshman Form whether you have taken any of the following exams: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (Higher or Standard Level) and GCE Advanced Level or Advanced Supplementary. Also,list the Chemistry courses you took in high school and any SAT II subject exams and scores.

If you plan to take Freshman Edge courses or you have taken other college-level courses, record these in the spaces provided. If the courses were taken at any institution other than a California Community College, please include the course description when you email the forms.


1. Download the Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman Form

2. Complete and save both forms on your computer

3. Return them via email by May 13 to:

Maura Daly
Academic Adviser, College of Chemistry


At Cal Student Orientation (CalSO) you'll receive a copy of your approved Planned Class Schedule form and will begin enrolling in classes.

If you cannot attend a CalSO program, you will be contacted about when you'll receive your approved Planned Class Schedule and with additional instructions about how to begin enrolling in classes.


Contact Maura Daly at (510) 643-0550, or via email at

[content coordinated by Maura Daly]