Please read the following instructions on filling out forms carefully. Your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman Form must be completed and emailed by May 15 so that you can enroll in classes for Fall.
PLANNED CLASS SCHEDULE
Your Planned Class Schedule (PCS) lists the courses you intend to take in Fall 2015. Your adviser uses the completed PCS to approve your choice of courses before you come to CalSO (Cal Student Orientation), where you begin the enrollment process. You will receive the approved PCS at CalSO. It will include your adviser code, which you must have in order to use UC Berkeley's enrollment system (Tele-BEARS).
Choosing your first semester courses
For the first semester, freshmen are expected to enroll in the following courses:
- Chemistry 4A
- Math (usually 1A or 1B, depending on your AP exam scores; see next section)
- English R1A or equivalent (or College Writing R1A; see below for details)
- Chemistry and Chemical Biology majors: Chemistry 96
- Chemical Engineering majors: Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering 40
During the first five weeks of classes, you may petition to drop a class if you find your class load is too heavy (minimum required is 13 units). You must obtain staff adviser approval to drop a class before you stop attending.
Advanced Placement, Transfer, and Other Exam Credit
Students who have Advanced Placement, transfer, or other exam credit may be eligible to take more advanced courses. Note: We do not recommend Math 53 or Math 54 as your first math class at Berkeley. We’ll discuss math issues at CalSO.
Information on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and GCE A-level exam credit can be found here. If you do not know your exam score, estimate it and select your classes according to that estimated score. If your estimated score is incorrect, you may need to add or drop a class later, with your adviser's approval.
If you have transfer credit from a community college or another university and you want to know if it will be accepted in satisfaction of a course requirement, your adviser will need to evaluate it. If your credit is not from a California community college, please include course descriptions when you email your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman forms.
University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement & Reading and Composition Requirement
- IF you have fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement with a sufficient test score, with transfer credit, or by passing the Analytical Writing Placement Exam, then you should enroll in English R1A or an equivalent course (unless you have sufficient AP/IB/A-Level/transfer credit to satisfy the Reading and Composition requirement; see previous section).
- IF you took the Analytical Writing Placement Exam but did not pass, then you should enroll in College Writing R1A in Fall 2015.
- IF you have not fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement and have not taken the Analytical Writing Placement Exam by the beginning of the Fall semester, you must take the Placement Exam, conducted on the Berkeley campus, in September, date and time TBA. Contact the College Writing Program for more information. Results will be posted on myBerkeleyApp and Bear Facts, 3-4 weeks after the exam date. You will need to delay taking the appropriate composition course(s) until Spring 2016. Please be aware that the Analytical Writing Placement Exam may be taken only once.
Your Major Program
Please use the following resources to see how your Fall 2015 courses fit into your major's curriculum and requirements:
In addition, UC Berkeley's Schedule of Classes, ScheduleBuilder and Academic Guide are available on the web. The latter includes course descriptions for all departments and information on University requirements and academic policies.
NEW FRESHMAN FORM
Please indicate on the New Freshman Form whether you have taken any of the following exams: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (Higher or Standard Level) and GCE Advanced Level or Advanced Supplementary. Also,list the Chemistry courses you took in high school and any SAT II subject exams and scores.
If you plan to take Freshman Edge courses or you have taken other college-level courses, record these in the spaces provided. If the courses were taken at any institution other than a California Community College, please include the course description when you email the forms.
HOW TO COMPLETE AND RETURN THE FORMS
2. Complete and save both forms on your computer
3. Return them via email by May 15 to:
Freshman Adviser, College of Chemistry
AFTER YOU EMAIL YOUR FORMS
Mark the "College of Chemistry documents requirement" item as DONE in your myBerkeleyApp check-list. (College of Chemistry staff cannot check off items in mBA.)
At Cal Student Orientation (CalSO) you'll receive a copy of your approved Planned Class Schedule form and will begin enrolling in classes.
If you cannot attend a CalSO program, you will be contacted about when you'll receive your approved Planned Class Schedule and with additional instructions about how to begin enrolling in classes.
During your freshman year, your staff adviser will be Maura Daly. You are welcome to contact her at (510) 643-0550, or via email at email@example.com.
[content coordinated by Maura Daly]