Home Page Image

Information for New Freshmen

Instructions for Filling Out Forms

Please read the following instructions carefully. Your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman Form must be completed and emailed by May 16 so that you can enroll in classes for Fall.


Your Planned Class Schedule (PCS) lists the courses you intend to take in Fall 2014. Your adviser uses the completed PCS to approve your choice of courses before you come to CalSO (Cal Student Orientation), where you begin the enrollment process. You will receive the approved PCS at CalSO. It will include your adviser code, which you must have in order to use UC Berkeley's enrollment system (Tele-BEARS).

Choosing your first semester courses
For the first semester, freshmen are expected to enroll in the following courses:

  • Chemistry 4A
  • Math (usually 1A or 1B, depending on your AP exam scores; see next section)
  • English R1A or equivalent (or College Writing R1A; see below for details)
  • Chemistry and Chemical Biology majors: Chemistry 96
  • Chemical Engineering majors: Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering 40

If you want to take additional courses, we recommend taking a breadth elective or a course that satisfies the American Cultures requirement.

During the first five weeks of classes, you may petition to drop a class if you find your class load is too heavy (minimum required is 13 units). You must obtain staff adviser approval to drop a class before you stop attending.

Advanced Placement, Transfer, and Other Exam Credit

Students who have Advanced Placement, transfer, or other exam credit may be eligible to take more advanced courses. Note: We do not recommend Math 53 or Math 54 as your first math class at Berkeley. We’ll discuss math issues at CalSO.

Information on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and GCE A-level exam credit can be found here. If you do not know your exam score, estimate it and select your classes according to that estimated score. If your estimated score is incorrect, you may need to add or drop a class later, with your adviser's approval.

If you have transfer credit from a community college or another university and you want to know if it will be accepted in satisfaction of a course requirement, your adviser will need to evaluate it. If your credit is not from a California community college, please include course descriptions when you email your Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman forms.

University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement & Reading and Composition Requirement

  • IF you have fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement with a sufficient test score, with transfer credit, or by passing the Analytical Writing Placement Exam, then you should enroll in English R1A or an equivalent course (unless you have sufficient AP/IB/A-Level/transfer credit to satisfy the Reading and Composition requirement; see previous section).
  • IF you took the Analytical Writing Placement Exam but did not pass, then you should enroll in College Writing R1A in Fall 2014.
  • IF you have not fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement and have not taken the Analytical Writing Placement Exam by the beginning of the Fall semester, you must take the Placement Exam, conducted on the Berkeley campus, Saturday, September 13, 9-11 a.m., in 155 Dwinelle Hall. Contact the College Writing Program for more information. Results will be available in the College Writing Program Office, 112 Wheeler Hall, 3-4 weeks after the exam date. You will need to delay taking the appropriate composition course(s) until Spring 2015. Please be aware that the Analytical Writing Placement Exam may be taken only once.

Your Major Program

Please use the following resources to see how your Fall 2014 courses fit into your major's curriculum and requirements:

Chemistry Major Info
Chemical Biology Major Info
Chemical Engineering Major Info

In addition, UC Berkeley's Schedule of Classes, ScheduleBuilder and Berkeley Bulletin are available on the web. The latter includes course descriptions for all departments and information on University requirements and academic policies.


Please indicate on the form whether you have taken any of the following exams: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (Higher or Standard Level) and GCE Advanced Level or Advanced Supplementary. Also,list the Chemistry courses you took in high school and any SAT II subject exams and scores.

If you have taken any college-level courses, record these in the spaces provided. If the courses were taken at any institution other than a California Community College, please include the course description when you email the forms.


1. Download the Planned Class Schedule and New Freshman Form

2. Complete and save both forms on your computer

3. Return them via email by May 16 to:

Maura Daly
Freshman Adviser, College of Chemistry


Mark the "College of Chemistry documents requirement" item as DONE in your myBerkeleyApp check-list. (College of Chemistry staff cannot check off items in mBA.)


At Cal Student Orientation (CalSO) you'll receive a copy of your approved Planned Class Schedule form and will begin enrolling in classes.

If you cannot attend a CalSO program, you still must RSVP online, via the CalSO web site with an explanation of why you cannot attend. After you RSVP to CalSO, you will be contacted about when you'll receive your approved Planned Class Schedule and with additional instructions about how to begin enrolling in classes.

Students who do not attend CalSO will not be able to enroll in classes until after the June 19-20 orientation.


During your freshman year, your staff adviser will be Maura Daly. You are welcome to contact her at (510) 643-0550, or via email at mdaly@berkeley.edu.

[content coordinated by Maura Daly]