Research Outside of the College of Chemistry

lab by Keegan Houser

If you intend to do research in any laboratory outside of the College of Chemistry (e.g. other departments and units on Berkeley campus, UCSF, LBNL, etc.), please complete the following steps in order to receive academic credit:

Signing up for Units

  1. Fill out the College of Chemistry Undergraduate Research Form
  2. Chemistry vs. Chemical Engineering units: Chem Eng H194 or Chem Eng 196 units shall be limited to research work supervised by members of the CBE faculty, defined as ladder-rank, lecturers, and adjuncts. If you are doing work supervised by a faculty member outside the department and wish to get Chem Eng units for it, you must find a CBE faculty member to formally co-advise and sponsor this work. Otherwise, you should select Chemistry 196 or H194.
  3. Have your faculty (or equivalent) research adviser sign the research form. Your form cannot be signed by a graduate student or a post-doc. Please let your faculty/supervisor know that you are doing research for academic credit, and enrolling in a course that will require her/him to report a letter grade at the end of the semester.
  4. Turn in completed form to Korshid Tarin in 121 Gilman Hall. Allow 3-5 days for processing and your enrollment information will be emailed to you.
  5. Enroll in the course through Cal Central by the fifth week of classes. You will be enrolling in a research section under Undergraduate Dean John Arnold, your instructor of record.

Receiving a Grade

  1. At the end of the semester, you must submit a short report summarizing your work and results. Have your report signed by your research faculty/supervisor and turn it in by email to or to Korshid Tarin in 121 Gilman Hall.
  2. At the same time, ask your research faculty/supervisor to send a short email to Undergraduate Dean John Arnold ( with her/his suggestion of your final letter grade reflecting your performance in research over the semester. The email must include your name and course number.

Any questions regarding procedures: contact Korshid Tarin,, 642-3451.