College of ChemistryDepartment of ChemistryDept of Chemical Engineeringbg image
visual image

How to Give

Make a Gift to the College Now!

Your support is crucial to maintaining the College of Chemistry's preeminence.

How do I give?

Mindy Rex
Assistant Dean, College Relations and Development

UC photo
UC Berkeley photo.

Giving Benefits for the College and Donor

Many different kinds of gifts can benefit both you and the University. Some of them can offer particular estate planning advantages, including income for life. Our professional staff would be pleased to discuss these gift vehicles with you; however, the University urges you also to consult your attorney or financial advisor.

If you wish your gift to benefit the College, any legal documents or instructions should specify that the gift is for the College of Chemistry (or the Department of Chemistry or the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) at the University of California, Berkeley.

Cash / Checks

Checks should be made payable to the UC Berkeley Foundation (UCBF), with a notation designating the name of the fund. Gifts to memorial funds should be made payable to the specific fund. Gifts to the College of Chemistry or its departments can be sent to the attention of:

Assistant Dean Mindy Rex
College of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley
420 Latimer Hall #1460
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
(510) 642-9506

Online and Credit Cards

Contributions may be made online with your Visa or MasterCard credit card via our secure website.  The College of Chemistry is also happy to process credit card gifts by telephone.  For assistance, please call Assistant Dean Mindy Rex, (510) 642-9506.


In most cases, gifts of appreciated securities may be deducted at full market value as of the date the gift is made, and the donor does not have to pay capital gains taxes. Gifts of stock are most easily handled by the UC Berkeley Foundation. Stock can often be transferred electronically. You or your broker may contact Assistant Dean Mindy Rex in the College [(510) 642-9506,] for further information.

Real Estate

Gifts of real property may be deeded to UC Berkeley for the benefit of the College of Chemistry, providing significant tax advantages to the donor in most cases. It is also possible to deed a property to the University and continue to occupy it for life. Please contact Mindy Rex (510) 642-9506,, for assistance.


Certain industrial gifts of equipment for research or student support are welcome. Please contact Mindy Rex (510) 642-9506,, or Nancy Horton (510) 643-9351,, for information on how to make a contribution of equipment.

[top of page]