Five active volunteer groups represent the College’s historical eras. These include:
Alumni of the G. N. Lewis Era Attending pre-1945
The G. N. Lewis Era was named for Gilbert Newton Lewis, the College’s dean (except for sabbaticals) from 1912 –1941. The group was established in 1985 by three of the College’s most involved alumni from that era – E. Morse “Bud” Blue, B.S. ’34; G. “Doug” Gould, B.S. ’42; and John Scott, B.S.’41, M.S.’51.
Cupola Era Alumni Attending years include 1946 – 1963
Cupola Era alumni received their education during the important post-war years, a time of rapid growth in the College when such luminaries as Professors William Giauque, Glenn Seaborg and Melvin Calvin were teaching and winning national and international awards. The Department of Chemical Engineering was established during this era.
Free Radicals Attending years include 1964 – 1979
Free Radicals were at Berkeley during a time of both innovation and turmoil, when student protests made worldwide news. In the College, new facilities—Latimer, Hildebrand, and the Physical Sciences Lecture Hall (now Pimentel Hall)—were built to accommodate growing enrollments and new areas of study, as chemical engineering, organic chemistry and biophysical chemistry came into their own.
CHEMillenniums Attending years include 1980 – 1999
CHEMillennium alumni were at Berkeley just before the turn of the current century, a time of rapid change and scientific advances, including high tech and biotech – and a time when Berkeley’s national rankings were without peer.
Young Alumni Attending years include 2000 and beyond
This era is comprised of those who are forging their careers with the knowledge they gained at Berkeley in the very beginning of the current millennium. Their education was broader and more interdisciplinary than in earlier times, preparing them for unprecedented opportunities in a world of new media and instant communications.